Behind the Spa Mic: How Retail Therapy Could be the Best Spa Treatment Ever
As I was creating and researching our end of the year podcast series, UK Festive Spa Holiday, which I designed as a spa break during the frazzling festivities, I discovered gift shopping is one of the biggest holiday stressors.
To a shopaholic like myself, that may seem shocking. But especially for those folks who go into a coma the second they step into a store, let alone to pick out something that someone else must love, I can see the steam rising off their heads.
But what if holiday shopping were a spa treatment? I can just see the menu:
Alas, this is only in my imagination now, BUT there IS a place, far, far away, whoops not there sorry. . .there is a place where everybody knows your name. . . ok wait, third time’s a charm, there is a place where shopping feels like a spa day and customers leave feeling rejuvenated rather than frustrated and jaded.
Oops, did I just see your eyes light up? Where you ask?
SURPRISE! IT’S spas! Many spas whether day, resort or wellness retreat, have a boutique. Yet, non-spagoers pass by in oblivion, thinking that if they aren’t having a spa treatment there is no reason to enter or worried they may be unwelcome and the boutique is only for those having spa treatments.
Even spa regulars often forget about the blissful shopping available in their local leisure lounge and retreat once they leave. So you can shop and leave feeling like you had a retreat and not skipped a beat. Need more reasons to “Shop Spa”?
- Hospitality — as a place folks go to escape, spa staff are warm and welcoming. Since their spas are not overrun with shoppers, you’re sure to get personal attention on making your purchase.
- Unique Gifts — Many spas have skin care and bath, beauty lines that are exclusive. These could be made just for them or a brand that only allows one business within a certain radius to sell their products.
- Local & Eco Friendly Selection — Locally created and sourced fashion, jewelry, skincare, artisan wares, organic food, home decor mean high quality, healthy gifts.
- Virtual Escape — Carefully curated, aestetically displayed products where you’re encouraged to play in a beautifully decorated space with music — it’s the anti-mall!
- Treat Yourself — While you’re there, why not see if there are any mini services like facials, massage or hand treatments available?
- Sustenance — there might even be a little bubbly and snacks involved.
Planning a shopping day to a local retreat? If you’ve not been there, call to see if they have a boutique — because not every spa has retail. Ask about what they carry, if they have an exclusive lines and holiday specials.
If you know when you’re going — don’t forget to see if they’ve got any treatment appointments available — after all, Santa deserves to Spa too!
BONUS: Life’s A Holladay Podcast is planning Style Holladay online shopping TV shows at spas in 2020 — think QVC meets Travel Channel! Subscribe to our elist for dates & locations.